Wednesday 4 July 2012

How can we capitalise on the skills learnt on road?

I've always believed that most criminals (or anyone who actually makes money from their criminality) have to be smart, have good negotiating skills, leadership qualities and a general brain that makes things happen. The people I know who have ended up on the wrong side of the law, have usually been guys who didn't like school, had a dream of having wealth but seeing that they didn't want to go to university or have someone to guide them on their right path and wanted to make money quickly ended up in certain situations. I am no way condoning their behaviour but in a society that celebrates the attainment of wealth over everything else is it any wonder that generations of children are focused on being rich or look to the Kim Kardashian's and Jay Z's of this world as role models??!!

Today I came across this article 'From gang members to board directors' which follows a sentiment that I have been pro for a while. There is an opportunity to channel some of this entrepreneurial spirit into something positive; how we do this - I have no idea but if we can save one young person from prison, or even death then it is worth a try. With unemployment still high, and the number of NEETS (under 25s not in education, employment or training) rising steadily its vital that we support these groups with jobs, business start up support etc. I don't have the answers but my greatest concern is that the government doesn't even seem to see the problem - enough from me. I'm outta here x

PS I would have loved to attend this event 'Black ephemera Depictions of people of African descent', as someone who read History at university this really hit my buttons, peed that I didn't see this until too late and at my alma mata too #vex

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts, feedback most welcome - don't be shy!