Wednesday 12 March 2014

Its been a while

So basically I haven't blogged for ages and the reason for this is that so much has been going on in my life. I haven't been able to take a minute to stop, think and blog. I've also been trying to be less opinionated lol which has meant that instead of always having something to say I've been keeping my pov to myself. But now I'm back and I'm going to do my best to keep up the momentum and get on with posting.

Since my last blog post I'm sure you've all been waiting to read this I've:

Continued on my fitness and exercise thang. I love it, the endorphins buzzing around my whole being after a jog or exercise class make me feel great. At the moment I'm trying to increase the length of my jogs (not quite fast enough for runs yet) and I've also cut down on the dance type cardio classes and focus on conditioning. I even have calluses. I'm definitely seeing results but I still have work to do my stomach could be more toned and I need to work on my back and arms.

Been getting my head stuck into interior design as I've been helping with a refurbishment project. Its been really interesting and fun - I now know where you can get really good deals for a new bathroom and how overpriced B&Q is!? Trade shops are so the way forward.

Falling in love with make up again - if you didn't know I previously trained as a make up artist, my clients included everyone from the BBC to a page 3 model and I did everything including bridal, editorial and fashion make up. I once even made up models for a fetish fashion show lol looking back that are a few stories to tell about that night. Anyway I've been stocking up on products, brushes and storage. I'm obsessed by Nars, am a regular Kiko shopper and use Micellar water all the time. I've also been looking into doing an Asian bridal make up course - just because.

These are the current things on my mind:

I'm kind of bored with the whole Lupita thing. She has become the poster child for all representations of black beauty that do not pertain to the traditional Americanised version of what a beautiful black woman looks like. What I find slightly ironic is that Lupita is now identified as another representative of another kind of beauty;  dark skinned, short hair - why aren't all forms of black beautiful celebrated especially as beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder?! Lupita is a fantastic actress lets focus and celebrate that.

I could do with at least a 5 minute break from seeing Lupita everywhere and anywhere - less is sometimes more. I do wonder if she has proven that a black face (and not a white person in dark make up) has no impact on magazine sales - if so I may just have to keep it zipped on this subject.

The Lean In 'Not bossy' campaign.  I get it bossy has negative connotations and is a word usually used to describe girls. Boys aren't bossy they are strong, determined and perhaps wilful, girls are bossy, strong willed and lil misses or madames. But you know what I like bossy girls and bossy boys I like characters who know what they want and who clearly state it. At times I even like it when a child is able to provide a good reason for why you should do something or why they aren't going to do it - doesn't mean its going to happen but they should be able to articulate their position and stand up for it. Because that's what life's about no one wants to admit it but usually lil miss bossy and lil mr headstrong are the type that get shit done. Maybe the campaign shouldn't be 'no to bossy' but 'I was bossy and look where I am now' with quotes from successful men and women. Do you agree did being called bossy as a girl stop you standing up to lead? If girls are sitting back in their late tweens and early teen years then we need to look at why and how we help both sexes to fulfill their potential. For some reason I believe that Michelle Obama, Oprah, Karen Brady etc where all bossy girls - maybe not so bad.

Feminism, intersectionality, black feminism,  the focus on hair or relationship status when discussing  black women. I could go on and will probably discuss these in more detail at some point but for now and because its my bed time - Later and guess who's back, guess who's back.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts, feedback most welcome - don't be shy!