Thursday 20 March 2014

New female admiration - Chimamanda Adiche

If like me you love to read you may have read books by two of my favourite writers Chimamanda Adichie and Zadie Smith. Last night Zadie hosted a conversation with Chimamanda which was live streamed. Some of you may know Adichie as a featuring artist on Beyoncé's latest album - anyway I'm very much a fan of Chimamanda I love that she presents a view of the Nigerian experience in a way that stirs so many emotions; from lol moments to sadness and everything in between and I have read all of her books.

In the last year or so  really since the beginning of her Americanah (her latest novel) press tour I have watched, read and listened to her TED talk,  interviews and comment pieces and I have found myself to be in agreement with many of her opinions on feminism and her view of the black experience in America and elsewhere. I truly find her a breath of fresh air and see her as someone that I would like to have a chat with.

Anyway its definitely worth watching the discussion (its about an hour in length) http:// m.colorlines.com/archives/2014/03/watch_zadie_smith_and_chimimanda_ngozi_adichie_talk_about_postcolonial_lit.html

Also di read Americanh, I can't recommend it highly enough! I recently attended a reading of Ghana Must Go by Taiye Selasi and when asked by her editor my thoughts on Americanah raved way too much; to the point she told me with disdain that she - Chimamanda was the one that got away. I hardly reread books and when I do its years later but its on my list after Silver Sparrow (current), Water for Elephants (book club read) Half a Yellow Sun (another Chimamanda book that I need to reread before the film is released - Chiwe stars in this film).

P.S If you haven't read Ghana Must Go do!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts, feedback most welcome - don't be shy!