Sunday 29 March 2015

Travelling whilst black

So I'm currently in Malaysia on a two week holiday. Yesterday and today was spent watching the Malaysian Grand Prix, a truly fantastic experience - but I'm a F1 fan , maybe not so great for anyone who isn't. Anyway whilst on the race track today after the race, yes I climbed over the barriers and stood on the finishing straight (I may never does this again) I was asked by another tourist (from China) to appear in a video for a friend. I initially thought they were asking me to film them; but low and behold it appeared that was not the case.

They wanted a feature video from two black people which they would show at their friends wedding with me and my travel buddy  (also black) saying 'congratulations on your wedding yeah'! Obviously I asked why us - I needed to check I wasn't a doppelganger for an obscure singer making waves in Asia, but alas that wasn't the case it was because [we're] awesome (major side eye here, I just wanted to hear his response). This is like Hong Kong all over again, when people randomly took their photos with me in the background - yeah I could see what you were doing!

The joys of travelling whilst black - please note I'm not a circus freak, but yes I am awesome!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts, feedback most welcome - don't be shy!