Wednesday 14 November 2012

Women of the year

So it's awards season and that means numerous womens magazines and female friendly programmes (ok Womens Hour - note this is only available on the radio) are asking for votes and awarding their Woman of the Year awards. With so many women making outstanding achievements this year who would I pick, who has inspired me or who do I admire. So here goes - the Nadie says Women of the Year are:

Michelle Obama - we all know I love the First Lady so I'm guessing this is no surprise. Amazing, strong, loving, intelligent and all whilst being a mother, wife and President's representative in front of the media.

Beyonce - motherhood seems to have made Beyonce more endearing. The way she represented whilst pregnant and then her return to the stage not long after having Blue Ivy - dayum.

Doreen Lawrence - for continually striving for justice and for supporting others to have the legacy they deserve.

Ladies in my network of friends who are doing great things such as Ronke Ige, Emi & Ben and Stephanie Mensah StylesAfrik. We see you, always good to see people you know representing and striving on.

Gabby Douglas - I lo sport and gymnastics is one of my all time favourites (I got to badge 1 as a kid) so watching Gabby take gold in the all round competition was one of my moments of London 2012.

Malala Yousafzai - sometimes I forget how relatively simple my life is and then I remember that whilst we complain about equal pay there are others out there who are fighting for simple rights that we take for granted. Malala is truly an inspiration especially as she says she will still continue to go to school even after an attempt on her life.

My aunt - I truly admire her strength to just get on with things, especially when others wouldn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts, feedback most welcome - don't be shy!