Tuesday 30 October 2012

Growing my hair - update 6 months

In April I told you that I was going to start a healthy hair regime, so I thought it was about time I provided an update. I've been doing the following since April:

Using heat sparingly, I've used my straighteners 5 or 6 times at most, I do blow dry my hair sometimes on the low heat setting but this is also infrequent.

Washing weekly and then if I go to the gym I will rinse out my hair and wash it with conditioner (co-washing). I also deep condition with my hood dryer weekly.

Reduce the amount of protein conditioners I use, I had a love affair with Affirm's 5in1, I only use it the week before I relax my hair to strengthen it, directly after rinsing out my relaxer but before neutralising and the week after I relax. I still think its an amazing product i just don't need to use it every week. Instead I alternate my conditioners weekly using Keracare Humeteco for moisture and Aphogee 2 minute for protein (I'm not sure I like this product so looking for an alternative).

Relax my hair every 8-10 weeks, rather than every 6 weeks. I currently have a weave in so probably won't relax my hair again to February but that depends, although that's the aim.

Stopped using products that contain mineral oil, petrolatum or certain types of alcohol.

Since doing all of the above my hair has grown from just below my ear lobe to chin length at the front and to the end of my neck at the back. Although due to constantly putting my hair in a top knot I have suffered some breakage.

If you're interested in finding out more about the health of your hair I would definitely recommend this book 'The science of black hair' it basically challenges lots of myths about black hair.

2 comments:

  1. you should definitely check out EbonyCprincess blog http://longing4length.com/ she relaxes and has a really good healthy hair regime that seems to be working well for her. good luck on your future progress

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts, feedback most welcome - don't be shy!