Thursday 9 February 2012

Best Beauty buys

Hiya,

Firstly thanks for reading this, especially as its bound to be lots of rambling from me. Well I'm guessing if you're reading this post then you have to be a friend, a relative or a lover (lol) but just in case you're not and you have no idea who I am or what I'm into lets make one thing clear I AM ALL THINGS BEAUTY MAD! I'm a trained MUA and beauty product junkie; I own 90% of all the products that appear in the 'Must have' beauty lists;  In Style's Beauty Buys has a premium spot on my beauty night stand and I spend quite a lot of time in Space NK and HOF beauty floors (worked out that StriVectin really does work by trialing every day).

Anyway I'm sure just like me you have your favourite beauty products, but as a black woman I'm somewhat dismayed that when the mainstream beauty product lists are compiled they only include foundations for black skins. But if you've seen my bathroom and bedroom (and that of my female friends and family) you'll know (and Mr Pak surely does) that the black pound, especially when it comes to hair & beauty products is STRONG. So why isn't there acknowledgement of all the hair and other products we use?! Like many other women toner, primer, serum, highlighter creams and moisturiser are all required before I even consider concealer and or foundation and some brands and products are more appropriate for women of colour. Let me tell you I've had some bad experiences; a certain primer that made my skin look ashy was thrown away after one use.

So yesterday morning after applying Keracare's Silken Seal to my hair after a night of sleeping under the covers due to the cold, I started to think "this is a hall of fame" product and if I created Nadine's Hall of Fame it would be top of the list! Silken Seal has ensured my hair doesnt look 'sweat out' after Spin sessions, sweat box raves and steamy nights of passion and to be fair I couldn't live without it. So like any woman worth her sort,  I asked my girls for their opinions and here are a few of our must have's:

MAC Select cover up concealer - I actually prefer the Ruby and Millie concealers (now no longer available in Boots) but one of my girls says she couldn't live without her MAC concealer and I know that she never leaves home without one in her bag. If she does I'm often called on to meet her with my MAC card so she can benefit from my discount.

Getting ready for bed ( I'm not that bad) a few of my Dermalogica products
Mizani H20 Intense - another product that has saved my hair from disaster. I only wrap my hair for the first two weeks after I get it relaxed so it's always in need of intense moisture and this works.

Dermalogica Precleanse - I love the whole Dermalogica range so could mention any of their products but if I had to choose one it would be this. Actually I can't just choose one I have to add the Daily Microfoliant to this, when I give make up lessons I advocate good skin care and get clients to test the Precleanse; but the Microfoliant is another staple in my bathroom.

Bio-oil - I love this oil; I use it everywhere. One very good use is when your weave is on its last legs, I swear by adding a few drops at bedtime and wrapping your weave;  like magic the next day it will look like you've added some fresh lines. I've told my girls about this and some of them also use this technique; but please only a few drops otherwise you will have the greasy weave look.

MAC Skin Base Visage - one of my friends who is also a MUA swears by this product and uses it on all her clients who all seem to love it. Its a great product, I also recommend Make Up Forever's HD primer; harder to find but just as good.

Creme of Nature Detangling & Conditioning Shampoo - my natural hair friends gave this shampoo a major shout out. I love the Moroccan Hair Oil shampoos, but the general consensus was we want our hair to feel moisturised and silky smooth after washing and these products did the job.

Cheap and cheerful range - As a black woman I feel my skin is in need of moisture but is also quite oily and quite sensitive so the Simple products are great and cheap. I've yet to find a better wipe at this price point!!

This is just a selection of mine and my girls (thanks ladies) views on some of our favourite products. Do let me know what would feature on your 'must have' lists the best will be added to Nadie Say's 'Hall of Fame'.

Thanks for reading Nadie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts, feedback most welcome - don't be shy!