Tuesday 14 February 2012

Things a man shouldn't do - the handbag episode.

On my tube journey home from work I saw a young lady walking without her handbag, so as a person who has all sorts of rubbish in her bag, dumps everything into the abyss and then routinely holds up everyone at the barrier looking for her Oyster I thought 'wow, check her out'.  But low and behold whilst checking out the situation for a while, I noticed that she was walking with whom I could only assume was her boyfriend who was CARRYING HER HANDBAG.

See I'm all for a man bag, I've even actively encouraged male friends, ex boyfriends and male work colleagues to invest in a soft leather bag a la Kanye (don't you just love a man who can accesorise!!!!), but there are some unwritten rules and they go like this:

  1. Men should only carry your bag for no more than 1 minute at a time.
  2. If a man has to hold your bag they should act as if they are unsure how to hold it.
  3. Said bag should be held like a bomb is inside it.
  4. Man must look uncomfortable holding said bag.
  5. Man should not be swinging it like it's his own accessory.
 Now there will be some people who say 'so what he was holding her bag' and to you I say I'm glad you are far more evolved than I am, but I will say it loud and clear;  I would be uncomfortable with a partner who was at ease carrying my bag or carried it all the way home. Pathetic maybe - but there are some things you just can't help feeling and that's one of them (please see image of Pharrell above as to why a man holding a woman's bag is never a good thing (even more scary I think this bag is his!!!).

However men of the world don't be confused, as you know women are complex creatures as well as quite individual so I am sure there are some (I've yet to meet one) who would love to have a man they could call on to hold their bag for a couple of minutes whilst they rest their arms. But if this isn't the case and the ladies in your life share a similar outlook on this issue don't worry, there are still a number of opportunities for you to assist us in carrying: our luggage, shopping bags, parcels and the rubbish bags outside to the bins.
In a perfect world ...

She really needed a man to help her and where is her handbag??
My packing motto is similar to the Scouts 'always be prepared'


That's all folks
Nadie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts, feedback most welcome - don't be shy!